This video is one that has touched me a lot, especially when I reflect on the type of teacher that I hope to be in the future. I came across this video last year and I was impressed by how the teacher, Mr. B, used music as a way of helping students deal with their emotional problems. Sometimes, amidst the mountain of deadlines and tasks to do, it can be easy to forget that teaching is about the child. I have observed many teachers who turn into information-spewing machines, who enter the classroom too preoccupied with their problems that they neglect to care for the students they are teaching. Yet many students would appreciate a simple smile or a casual question about their day. My main learning point from this video, then, is to put the child/the student at the forefront of my teaching practice. Specifically, I must remember to care for their socio-emotional development too, even as I contribute to their cognitive development through my daily lessons.
P.S. Maybe one day I could bring in music into my English or Literature lessons and use music as a way to help students articulate their feelings.
No comments:
Post a Comment