During our E-portfolio lessons recently, we have been repeatedly reminded of the need to be reflective teachers. Although I generally enjoy journalling and reflecting on my life, I am also starting to realise that being a reflective teacher requires a certain amount of discipline and self-motivation. Reflecting on teaching pedagogy is also vastly different from reflecting on one's personal life. In fact, sometimes I ask myself: What should I be reflecting on as a teacher? What are the areas I should be reflecting on in order to make my reflections meaningful?
Today's lesson on making the theory-practice link gave me one new perspective on this matter. I have realised that reflection lies at the heart of the theory-practice link. In other words, reflection places me in the necessary frame of mind for me to make a meaningful link between teaching theory and teaching practice. As Confucius said, "By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." The act of reflection, then, is a crucial way for me to gain wisdom as I start on my journey as a beginning teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment